avast! Free Antivirus is a free complete ICSA certified antivirus software for home noncommercial use.
avast! obtained VB100% awards in 2002/4 Virus Bulletin comparative reviews under Windows.
avast! Free Antivirus includes the following components:
- On Demand Scanner with Skinnable Simple Interface - just select what do you want to scan in which way and press the Play button.
- On Access Scanner resident scanning of all files being opened, read and written and behavior blocker monitoring dangerous actions of viruses.
- E-mail scanner easily integrates with most mail clients and it checks both incoming and outgoing mails, it provides heuristic analysis of mail content to protect against new Worms.
- Network Shield scans traffic for malicious content - lightweight Firewall.
- Resident protection for IM programs (e.g. MSN Messenger, ICQ) and P2P programs (e.g. Kazaa, DirectConnect).
- Boot Time Scanner scans disks in the same way and in the same time as Windows CHKDSK does (on NT/2000/XP only).
- Explorer Scanner right click on the object allows you to scan it.
- Screen Saver Scanner scans PC during your coffee breaks.
- Virus Chest safety isolated folder to store infected, suspicious and even some system files - to restore them.
True incremental updates of size under 100 KB are available at least twice a week and within couple of hours in the case of emergency of new virus. avast! automatically checks for new updates - downloads, installs and loads them without restart or logoff. Program upgrades are available time to time, they are incremental too (about 300 KB).